Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Scene 6: In Which I am Scared of Clowns, but I LOVE the Circus

The Night Circus that is... by Erin Morgenstern.

This book was fantastical.  The plot was so well-woven it was poetic. The characters were alive in me as I was in them.  The circus was magical and mysterious, a character in its own right.  And as I traveled through the circus, I learned more about myself; examining and discovering each new attraction, each one speaking to a different part of me--wonder, playfulness, fear, yearnings--allowed me pinpoint my place in the world.


I can't quite place my finger on what exactly it is that I loved so dearly about this book... and that is, I think, the reason I adore it.  It left me both longing and satisfied.  The ending was so poignant, so eerily quiet it was majestic.

In my opinion, this is real literature.

Which, most likely, explains the polar effect it has on readers, the one loving it, the other hating it.  I dare you to have lukewarm feelings about this book.


No comments:

Post a Comment